The Resolution.

So this Year i'm keeping it simple. No Lists - just one simple resolution. But to understand you have to hear my story - Earlier this year My Grandmother Passed away - We were close, She had lived an amazing, long & sometimes scandalous life. I Had filled a book with stories she had told me & recorded her talking about surviving the london bombing and the end of WWII. She was a truly fascinating Lady.
Ever since I can remember She's always written in a diary - I'd never seen inside them, but whenever she used to fly over and visit us, I'd catch her writing in them in the evening - I think I asked to see them once but she politely declined.
I was floored when we flew over for the funeral to find that she had left me a box of journals - 13 journals dating from 1998 - 2012. And a precious amazing perfect thing from 1954. (which chronicled my grandfather's & her move from England to New Zealand via boat & the building of the house she lived in till the day she passed) Every single journal is filled - every day, something is written - nothing deep, or personal - just the weather, what she did that day or who she recieved mail or phone calls from. But it was truly incredible.
So that's my Plan - My Resolution - To write in a Diary every day. Just like she did - so maybe one day my granddaughter will find them & be able marvel in the everyday life of her grandmother 60 years ago.
The 1954 "Good Housekeeping" Diary
The 13 Journals from 1998 - 2012
The lucky First Journal


16 comments:

  1. Great resolution! I write in mine all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is possibly the best inheritance ever. Thanks for sharing Rin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You are so lucky. My grandmother had a box of letters from my Gramps during the war. I wish I had them, but I likely won't ever come to have them. What a great legacy to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect! What an amazing thing for you to have in your possession now. Such great memories and insight into your grandma's life.

    I love this idea and think I might take it on myself!

    x Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea. Although my grandmother doesn't keep a journal she is an avid letter-writer, and if it hadn't been for her I would never have become one myself.
    Here's to a wonderful 2013 & hoping we become more like our grandmothers every day. :)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the most wonderful gift! That is one of my goals for this year. To write in a journal everyday. Even if it's just a line or a word. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's amazing! good luck :)
    i've been writing a one line a day journal for almost 2 years now, and it's much easier than i expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really amazing! I always keep a journal and try to write everyday. For inspiration I usually go to embodiment.livejournal.com . Happy journalling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly incrediable. I wish my grandmother would have done that so I would know a little about her.

    And all my best wishes to your resolution! Do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an awesome story! I keep journals off and on and this has inspired me to be diligent, even if I only write a sentence per day. My journals are super personal though... I might disturb my poor daughters & granddaughters, haha! Maybe I'll just make sure they don't have a false view of mom/grandma during my life so they aren't so shocked to know my darkest secrets. ;)

    Loving the new fonts by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beautiful resolution. I'll join you. Your grandmother reminds me of my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just stumbled across your blog and this is such a beautiful post. How lucky you are to have such amazing history all on paper for you to look back on. My Nan died toward the end of 2011 and there isn't a single day that goes by where I don't think of her, as I was so close to her like you were with your grandmother. Treasure these and carry on her legacy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely that she left you those journals! Your resolution is marvelous, too, and I might borrow it. Thank you for sharing the journals with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's really amazing. I would like to have such an inheritance. Thanks for sharing!

    I keep usually a notebook where I write/glue all kind of things: lists, pictures, addresses, drawings, memories... But this year I receive a present from my sister: a hand-decorated diary for 2013. So I'll trying to write some lines every day. Nothing exactly personal, but one fact about every day. I hope I won't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treasure! I've kept diaries since I was seven years old, sometimes I've been writing less frequently, but it's still possible to follow the different turns in my life.

    I'm also hoping that one day I can hand them over to a granddaughter and give her a good laugh and some insight to what life was like in the 1900's...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful treasure! I would love to have something like that from my grandmother! I write diaries since i was 8 years old, and it's really nice to read them so many years later. I hope i could give them to my grandchildren one day. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou For Spreading the Love! Keep Writing.
Peace & Love xo

paperedthoughts All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger